I have over 15 years of corporate experience working in a number of Fortune 500 companies. During my time in the corporate world, I have had increasing levels of responsibility (from Analyst to Vice President), worked across multiple functions (communications, marketing, strategy, product management, and general management) across geographies (US only, to North and South America, to truly global roles) in organizations of different sizes (from $100M acquired businesses to $5B+ divisions of Fortune 50 companies). My latest role has me living and working abroad in Montreal, Canada in my first international assignment. In spite of all the diversity of roles in my career (or perhaps because of it…?) I have been promoted roughly every 18 months in three very different companies.
Anyone who has ever worked in the corporate world knows the following:
- It is a very confusing place
- It’s unclear what it takes to get ahead
- It’s very easy to get “stuck” in a role (check out: The Most Common Career Killer)
- People who seem less talented or hardworking than you often get promoted
- There are very few resources on how, specifically, you can be successful in the corporate world
- And many more…
I can assure you, the list above is just as relevant for new hires who are just out of school starting their corporate journey as it is for seasoned corporate executives with decades of experience.
I am starting this blog to try and share my insights into the corporate world. This blog is NOT going to focus on tricks to become better at marketing, or how to make you a better accountant. Rather, I am going to focus on the unwritten rules, the little nuggets of wisdom I have learned on my journey that I hope will be useful to you, my reader. I do not claim to have answers to every question or that you too will get promoted 10 times in 15 years. However, I do believe that by sharing my failures, successes, and insights that you, too, can have a more successful, fulfilling corporate journey. At the absolute minimum, I hope I can at least demystify some of the craziness of corporate life.
My goal is to focus on three topics:
- How to be successful in the corporate world. (Check out articles on Career Advice)
- How to turn the financial rewards of you corporate success into an early retirement (I am 37 and hope to retire by 40). (Check out articles on How to Retire Early)
- How to enjoy the good life (basically, articles on things I like).
Please leave a comment or post a suggestion for future topics you would like covered at Corporate Wise Man. Thank you for visiting!